Last Friday was the last day of work for a group of people I really love – three of the cleaning staff, BY(hong lou meng auntie), BA (skinny sister), and the durian auntie. They are three very dear people in this college who have made Angsana such a pleasant place to live in. For me, they’ve also brought a piece of Singapore and the into a place where I’d otherwise be so occupied with schoolwork and all. It’s always a joy talking to them after coming back from lessons, listening to their stories and them sharing about their lives.
I remember one of the days after Chinese New Year, I was walking back to CAPT after lesson, when I bumped into a group of them and they excitedly exclaimed, “Xiao mei! Xin Nian Kuai Le!!!” That really made my day that day, and I felt truly, truly felt blessed to know them.
It is also really nice to see the cleaning staff being so bonded and comfortable with their colleagues. The three aunties have really added so much fun to their colleagues’ working days and working environment. They’ve even given each other names, like “Lao Da”, “Lao Er”, all the way to “Lao Jiu”, according to their age. They treat each other sincerely and with a very personal touch, and it’s very much like a family. It’s nice to see ZH enjoying their talk with them – and she’s not from Singapore – and they still communicate well even with the occasional smatter of Hokkien among the other aunties.
I will miss these aunties so much :’) And so will their colleagues and supervisor. I’m sure they have all become more like family than working partners. The supervisor and colleagues even teared at the mini farewell. Well, I’m very thankful for all their contributions to the college, helping to clean (it isn’t easy at all, tough work + little pay + health problems) and bringing joy to us residents. Echoing a friend of mine, I’m also thankful towards the aunties for showing me what genuine concern and love for one another is it.
No comments:
Post a Comment