Monday, November 30, 2015

Dropping by Golden Mile

My family went to Golden Mile for dinner yesterday. After dinner, we decided to head upstairs to take a look at the army market. More for my brother actually, who's never been there before. For him to look at what would become 'every day' items when he goes into the army (I'm not very very sure about this cos I've never been to the army nor watch the army movie proper, but I suppose!)

I didn't think I would be that excited to be at the army market. But that 15 minutes spent browsing the equipment/gadgets/knick knacks (?) was quite fun. I think I like how some things are invented in a smart way. Like the Swiss knife, where every part of it is probably designed (and included) with the foresight of someone's going to run into a situation that probably needs this tool! in mind. It would be quite fun to take a look at the different parts of a Swiss knife and imagine the kind of situations they could be/would be used for.

Among the mess of small items displayed for sale at some of the shops there, like many different types of torchlights, swiss knives, compact utensils, prickly heat, there were also mini 'survival kits'. I wonder what a sewing thread might be used for. Sew buttons that fall off army uniform? (I'm pretty ignorant at this and really don't know)

But the short trip reminded me of Guiding and testworks and the various tasks we had to do to obtain badges. Like assemble a first aid kit, or make an E-call list, or learn housekeeping habits (in theory).

Plus we passed by a shop that sold lots of Scouting memorabilia and also had a short conversation with the shopkeeper. I got reminded of campfires, scarves, collecting badges, exchanging badges. Just quite a lot of memories. Campfire songs. Pioneering. I remembered I was once part of a team that constructed an entire kitchen dresser. It was meant to be practical, and I think I am quite amazed at how practical equipment can be built out of gadget poles and twine and a mallet. And maybe some cut outs from recycled mineral water bottles. Add in a styrofoam box for the sink. A hose as water source for the tap. (no I think it was a 1.5 litre bottle with a hole in the bottle cap?) And bring your own tablecloth to make things pretty.

It was nice. I kind of miss camping.

My dad shook the shopkeeper's left hand before we left. "Once a scout, always a scout," he says. Haha :)

No comments: