Monday, August 13, 2007

HOKKIEN NUMBERS

over the weekend my siblings and i were trying to think of ways to memorize the numbers 1 to 10 in hokkien and cantonese. I knew the cantonese one already! although i am more towards the hokkien side, I don't know simple numbers from 1 to 10! needless to say, my sis and bro too.

So we tried direct translation. after all, it was the easiest way. after two days of brooding and thinking, we finally came out with the English translation. Er, please don't try to understand it cos it is simply dis-understandable.

1 to 10 in Hokkien: I eat the inside shirt and I feel happy with my brother who is lucky, because no one cheats his feelings because everyone cannot sue him without saying "What's up". Er, see the bold words and try to translate it yourself.

Give up? Okay, I shall reveal the answer. I eat (no. 1, it) the inside (no. 2, 里) shirt (no. 3, sa in hokkien) and I feel happy (no. 4, 喜) with my brother (no. 5, gorh, like, when you are young you call your brother gor, just that for hokkien it's 第三声, not 第二声) who is lucky (no. 6, luck), because no one cheats (no. 7, cheat without the 'h', so "ceat") his feelings because everyone cannot (no. 8, buey, "cannot" in hokkien is buey) sue (no. 9, 告) him without saying "What's up" (no. 10, zup. try saying "What's up" really fast and you'll see that there will be two main parts, "wha" and "zup", so it's the second part!)

Explanation complete. Now I find hokkien numbers really easy to remember. Hehe!

No comments: