Last week Jiayi and I went on a little spontaneous outing to Lower Pierce on wheels. It felt sooo good being on skates after a long time. We rollerbladed from Bishan to Upper Thomson area and figured our way to Lower Pierce Reservoir. It was so peaceful in the morning, and no one was there except two men fishing (I think). Anyway, we ventured deeper into the park and there were a few trails, and we decided to just complete them. I didn't bring slippers so had to go barefoot, but the feeling of the cool ground was surprisingly therapeutic so didn't really care about getting dirt on my feet haha. We ended up at Casaurina Road which means Casaurina Curry (!!! :D) and ordered an Onion Roti Prata to share. Then we skated over to Ice Cream Chef which was just across the road and enjoyed a mango flavoured ice-cream that tasted so refreshing and good in the hot weather. After that we made our way back to Bishan, home sweet home.
Went to Chinatown this morning for breakfast and tried the famous glutinous rice, it really does live up to its fame. When we got there at 8 plus it was open with a very long queue, but it's worth the wait, plus the queue moves quite fast too.
What I found really interesting was how the men in the stall were scooping and serving the glutinous rice, they all do the same thing - scoop a few ladles of rice onto a packet/plate, then garnish it with some crushed shallots before passing it to the auntie who folds the packets and secures it with a rubber band. And they do it really fast, in a rapid routine, kind of like a machine. They've probably been doing it for years now, and I really really wonder who will take over the local food/hawker scene after this generation of hawkers.
Anyway, (bear with me I can't review food very well haha everything tastes good to me but here's an attempt at describing how it tasted) the rice was fragrant, not very sticky, yet still chewy, very nice. Oh and I love how the peanuts in the rice were pre-boiled so they were quite soft and it blended in with the chewy rice. It's a must try!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment