September's arrived! I've neglected this place for a while and decided to give it a little facelift, since I've entered a new phase of life, which is what this entry will be about.
It's the end of Week 3 of school and in a nutshell, it's been rather overwhelming with everything happening all at once. The current feeling I'm getting now from school is that we've plunged into school just like that and honestly I don't think I was mentally prepared for it.
But adapting takes time anyway, and all's been pretty well so far :)
Something that was nagging at me through the first few weeks of Uni are my priorities in university. Being immersed in the hustle and bustle of school constantly made me think about the priorities set or myself and reminded me of why I'm doing what I'm doing, if it makes sense. For too many years in the past, I used to have a go-with-the-flow attitude about many things but come uni, with a thousand and one things happening and the many different communities you can choose to associate yourself with, I've really learnt (and am still learning) to figure out what I really want and why I'm doing things; hopefully this builds up to a purposeful uni life!
There's also a whole lot of independence and freedom of choice in Uni, which is quite exciting. Frankly I'm not used to it, but it's exciting because you really have the freedom and control of your own time, how you would want to spent it, what you want to do with it, make decisions, plan your school life from scratch (from the modules you want, the CCAs you plan to join, design your own timetable and the list goes on). It feels liberating.
Oh, but because of all the independence and freedom, I've realised how we have to get our time management right from the start. Somehow, especially living on campus, the day just passes and you end up sleeping much later than you usually would - without knowing how you spent all your time. There's always this notion that "I'm living in school and I have a lot of time" but the time just passes like that. I guess we're still adapting and it's getting better now, after our timetables are confirmed and we have a better idea of how we want to plan our time. I'm learning how to focus while studying at unfamiliar places, because studying in school can be so distracting.
Besides all that I've talked about, I'm really enjoying my stay at Angsana at the moment - life's good :) The people I've met so far are pretty awesome and I think living and learning with your neighbours has been helpful and fun and you learn a lot while chatting with people, which can sometimes leave you with food for thought. I also like how we have our meals together, it's been quite homely so far.
Academically wise, I'm glad to be taking a break from Science and studying Arts for now. It's like venturing into a whole new world - I haven't touched some humanities subjects since Secondary 2, but it's interesting. Lectures have been engaging and a world of a difference from Chem/Bio lectures, but the readings we need to do are a chore sometimes and I haven't really gotten used to them yet.
So that kind of sums up how Uni's been so far! I hope it's been good for everyone too.
Anyway, some random musings - I miss going home and being welcomed by the warmth of the family! Not that I don't like living on campus, but staying on campus makes me feel like I'm in school all the time. I miss homecooked food terribly too, Mum's cooking is always comfort food :)
I'm looking forward to dinner tomorrow!
It's the end of Week 3 of school and in a nutshell, it's been rather overwhelming with everything happening all at once. The current feeling I'm getting now from school is that we've plunged into school just like that and honestly I don't think I was mentally prepared for it.
But adapting takes time anyway, and all's been pretty well so far :)
Something that was nagging at me through the first few weeks of Uni are my priorities in university. Being immersed in the hustle and bustle of school constantly made me think about the priorities set or myself and reminded me of why I'm doing what I'm doing, if it makes sense. For too many years in the past, I used to have a go-with-the-flow attitude about many things but come uni, with a thousand and one things happening and the many different communities you can choose to associate yourself with, I've really learnt (and am still learning) to figure out what I really want and why I'm doing things; hopefully this builds up to a purposeful uni life!
There's also a whole lot of independence and freedom of choice in Uni, which is quite exciting. Frankly I'm not used to it, but it's exciting because you really have the freedom and control of your own time, how you would want to spent it, what you want to do with it, make decisions, plan your school life from scratch (from the modules you want, the CCAs you plan to join, design your own timetable and the list goes on). It feels liberating.
Oh, but because of all the independence and freedom, I've realised how we have to get our time management right from the start. Somehow, especially living on campus, the day just passes and you end up sleeping much later than you usually would - without knowing how you spent all your time. There's always this notion that "I'm living in school and I have a lot of time" but the time just passes like that. I guess we're still adapting and it's getting better now, after our timetables are confirmed and we have a better idea of how we want to plan our time. I'm learning how to focus while studying at unfamiliar places, because studying in school can be so distracting.
Besides all that I've talked about, I'm really enjoying my stay at Angsana at the moment - life's good :) The people I've met so far are pretty awesome and I think living and learning with your neighbours has been helpful and fun and you learn a lot while chatting with people, which can sometimes leave you with food for thought. I also like how we have our meals together, it's been quite homely so far.
Academically wise, I'm glad to be taking a break from Science and studying Arts for now. It's like venturing into a whole new world - I haven't touched some humanities subjects since Secondary 2, but it's interesting. Lectures have been engaging and a world of a difference from Chem/Bio lectures, but the readings we need to do are a chore sometimes and I haven't really gotten used to them yet.
So that kind of sums up how Uni's been so far! I hope it's been good for everyone too.
Anyway, some random musings - I miss going home and being welcomed by the warmth of the family! Not that I don't like living on campus, but staying on campus makes me feel like I'm in school all the time. I miss homecooked food terribly too, Mum's cooking is always comfort food :)
I'm looking forward to dinner tomorrow!
1 comment:
I can totally emphasise with the time flying and 8-12 just disappearing into some pseudo-studying black hole, where nothing much gets done somehow.
Guess its time to start keeping a time-log for me x.x
And I'm very thankful for the non-engin modules I'm taking (accountancy and fundamentals of management, way easier to sustain interest in those than engin stuff =\)
And yes to the joys of residential life (:
Post a Comment