Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Gems

Look what I found as I was packing my drawer:

IMG_9947

This treasure map! Such a pleasant surprise, and a gem :') My first instinct was to try to remember when I drew it and what I drew it for, but it came with another piece of paper that described the map and it's got instructions written on it, haha. Turns out the map was for an amazing race I was planning for my sibs.

Time to time, and after every semester, I clear out my cupboard and pack my drawer and so many memories come flooding back. I gotta say, I really miss my childhood and thank my parents for bringing us up to love and appreciate playing in the outdoors and not stopping us from letting our imagination run wild.

I miss playing with my siblings and building homes within our home (and messing up the house - oops sorry Mum!) or creating some story in the playground with sand sticks and leaves, and racing grass blades down streams of water along the park's slopes after it rains, and playing mini obstacle courses, and pretending the torchlight's a campfire and that our chopsticks are satay sticks holding marshmallows (hahaha), and building our very own family car out of cardboard, all of those and more. (Wow that was such a long sentence.) I think it's important for children to dream and imagine, and I'm thankful for my parents for giving us that creative space and my wonderful siblings who are such a joy to play with.

On the other hand I don't lament growing up and I enjoy growing up and learning so many other things about myself, people, and about the world. Flipping through old diaries reveal that I was quite a pesky, selfish older sister back then haha, so I'm definitely glad I've grown out of that phase - now trying to be a better sister.

I've learnt a lot watching my siblings grow up and it's very, very humbling. I can't say that I'm a great sister because I've got so many flaws and I still get impatient at my family which is unfair to them and yup, lots to work on. But I'm learning from my parents and my siblings and seeing them blossom and showing their different strengths is just amazing. And I'm proud of my siblings too :')

Okay time to hit the bed, cheers to the holidays and Christmas season!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, your parents will be so happy reading this. And they'll be proud of you. Your post is a testament to their great work at raising you and your siblings.

I hope I can be a good mum, and am always learning to be one that's more loving, less critical, more forgiving and having enough (if not more!) time with them.

Go Sarah, you've a lot awaiting you while life unfolds. :)

Sin yee.