Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What’s a gift you value?

A couple of weeks ago, a few of us from Spectrum headed down for a volunteer training session and we did a simple activity where we were asked a few questions and took turns to share our thoughts or answers. Of the questions, one of them was something along the lines of: Describe a gift that you value a lot.

That question stumped me.

It was difficult to come up with an answer and there wasn’t anything that popped up in my mind immediately, and I guess that reflected how I haven’t been thinking about these things a lot or rather, I haven’t been paying much attention to the many blessings around me, as much as I remind myself to. Sometimes you get swept into the currents of life so much that all you’re trying to do is to stay afloat, and barely take time to think about these things. Anyhow, the question got me thinking and I appreciate how it provided an opportunity for us to recollect our experiences and feelings.

The mini sharing session was a heart-warming one, especially when hearing what other people had to say. For myself, I really couldn’t think of a literal gift that I treasured a lot, so what I felt was the most appropriate answer there and then was an SMS from my brother that said, “Thx for the call”.

What happened was that my family was going out for dinner one weekend and we were going to meet my brother, who was coming from elsewhere, directly at the eatery. I called my brother to let him know that we had already reached, and he sounded a little impatient on the phone (partly because my mum had just called him or something and having to answer phone calls one after another can get quite annoying). Still I wondered if I had done anything to make him angry, but brushed it off. A few minutes later I received a message from him saying “thx for the call” and that made me smile, knowing that he wasn’t impatient on purpose and even more so heartened by the fact that he bothered to thank me.

I think my brother may not even remember this now but I do and I will, and this naturally came to me as an answer to the question posed at the sharing session because I appreciate small, thoughtful gestures like this, especially from treasured people.

The sharing session was very uplifting, and I haven’t felt that way in a while. Well a reminder to be appreciative and give thanks greets me daily, and I really should be practicing it more often!

photo (35)

Also, perhaps this is something not very related, but I like this verse that CAPT prayer group shared with everyone today:

“For I have learnt to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.”
-Philippians 4:11b-13

And to end off, may you guys be blessed from recalling about a gift you have received and treasure as well :)

No comments: