Saturday, October 18, 2014

Week 5

This week I found myself:
  • Hitting Chinatown after school for the Asian supermarkets. (I thought I saw Channel 8 screening on a TV in one of the Asian supermarkets!! Caught a quick glimpse of the familiar orange and red 8 TV symbol while I was queuing up to pay, before they switched channel :( )
  • Googling recipes for Asian food and scrolling through soup recipes and wondering if I would eventually decide to have a go at them
  • Remembering that an oriental supermart at Elephant and Castle exists (a tube station 15min away from accommodation) and happily visiting it – it was great! The shop played Mandopop songs! And they sell Chinatown brand frozen roti prata (that can be found in Singapore too)!
  • Dropping one of my chopsticks into the kitchen sink after eating noodles, ouch. Ouch, because I won’t be able to eat with the oriental utensils I brought over from home – a spoon and a pair of chopsticks – now that the little set is incomplete. My hostel sink now contains a souvenir from Singapore, a touch of the orient (I think I did not use this term correctly!) haha.
  • Listening to Kiss 92 Live online (it’s playing now).
Yes, I think I am homesick.
I miss having Channel 8 shows airing in the background at home as I do work at night, Mum and Ah Ma’s comforting soups, and at present as I type this, I miss the familiar presence of my family the most :’)
Being on exchange has taught me to keep in contact with people, and I find myself putting in more effort to do so, much more than when I was back in Singapore. I learn the great magnitude of how much the people who are important to me, mean to me.
More thoughts to come on the journey here, hopefully, and about London! For now, a photo that has brought a smile amidst the homesickness:
family_02
Cheers.

No comments: