Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! It’s 2010! Another year of excitement lies ahead!

Since Chinwen already posted her story of Roos, I think I’ll post it too! And it’s such a nice date for this post – 1st January 2010 :)

Why Roosterice?

Have you all wondered why xiaoen, sarah, chinwen and lingxin are called ROOSTERICE? Here’s the story of our name (xiaoen, it’s time to admit that the name’s one of a kind, unique and nice!) :D Do refer to the other 3 blogs for their versions (and maybe more accurate versions) of the story!

It all started with Amanda’s batch (the batch before ours), when the then CLs and ACLs (Amanda, Shi Ting, Xin Yi, An Ning) named themselves AXAS. I remember going to gmail and figuring out who Axas was and why she kept sending all these emails to camp gmail, and I don’t remember anyone being called Axas in NYGG. But then someone told me that Axas was the name for the CLs and ACLs, from their initials (Amanda, Xin Yi, An Ning, Shi Ting). Cool right?

We decided to have one cool name too, but unfortunately, with our names Xiao En, Sarah, Lingxin, Chin Wen, it was so so so tremendously difficult to come up with a nice name, because we didn’t have vowels in our first name initials, and how do you mix-and-match the letters X, S, L and C to form a pretty word? XSLC? LSXC? (ohman this suddenly reminds me of clothes sizes: S, XL…) Anyway, our surnames or second-syllable names weren’t nice to match with either – en, wen, ling,rah? It was a bit weird…

One day, we started seriously thinking about our name in (of all places), the toilet! More specifically, I think it’s the 1st floor toilet of the classroom block, nearer to Popular! Haha, it was after some meeting and we were all going to the toilet and we were talking about our favourite food.

Chin announced that she loved corn, but Xiaoen and Lingxin thought that that was corny. I love corn too!! so I sided with her :D esp. cup corn, it’s so tasty!!! (I’ve developed a liking for it ever since we’ve been selling it for so many times at funfairs – at youth day funfair & guides funfair etc.) My favourite food is… EGGS of course! They all knew that, and Chin Wen started thinking: hey we could use our favourite foods to form our name!

And she started asking Lingxin and Xiaoen what their favourite food was.
Lingxin: I don’t know!
Xiaoen: Er, anything?

Chin Wen thought the answers were quite satisfying as we had 4 letters out: C for corn, E for egg, I for I don’t know, A for anything. We walked out of the toilet, Chin Wen asked again to confirm, and Lingxin still said “I really don’t know!” or something like that and I think Xiaoen was just thinking how lame and weird we were, and she didn’t give a specific answer. So the letters we had that were confirmed were C, E and I.

We unscrambled those 3 letters to form the word…

ICE!! You’re one step closer to figuring out our name :D

It was quite cool that we finally managed to form a real word with a vowel in it. But because a four letter word would look nicer and ICE is just so weird, we started thinking of names that end with ice – Nice! Mice! Rice! and some others. (By this time, we had already walked to the NY bus-stop)

After thinking about it, we thought Rice was the nicest. But Rice seemed that it was lacking something. There are so many types of rice, like white rice, brown rice, fried rice, chicken rice, so RICE by itself was no-no. We thought that chicken rice would be nice, but it still didn’t bring out any special quality... I mean, chicken rice is so common!

And then, out of the blue, I-don’t-remember-who said, “What about Rooster Rice??”

Lingxin Chinwen and I thought it was such a fantastic name because:
1. It’s not any plain, ordinary chicken rice, it’s ROOSTER RICE!
2. We are all born in the year of ROOSTER!
3. It’s alliteration! Rooster Rice!

Xiaoen still didn’t like it, but majority wins, so she had to bear with the name. We thought about the gmail account that we were going to create…roosterrice@gmail didn’t look very nice because of the double 'r’, so we were contemplating between roosterice and roosterrice. In the end we settled for Roosterice because it looked nicer! (Xiaoen reluctantly agreed)

And after about 20 minutes of randomness and craze over favourite foods and mad laughter, the name ROOSTERICE was born, right at the pillar of the bus-stop shelter. We intended to call ourselves by the full name, but in emails Ms Teng started to call us Roos and there you go, we are now ROOS, short for ROOSTERICE! :D

That’s why we’re ROOSTERICE :D And I loved every moment of Roos’ time this last year (: Thanks, you guys!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: