Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lion King and all things wonderful :D

Lion King was AWESOME!!!. First time at a musical and I was so… awed. The first time I stepped into the theatre, it felt quite surreal, and it totally didn’t feel like Singapore. I didn’t know that musicals play LIVE music, or that the characters sing live. It was beyond coolness. And throughout the whole musical, there were so many things to look out for – the props, the movements, the singing, the music, the set. So it was really quite impossible to thoroughly appreciate every single part of the musical because there’s too much to enjoy.

The music was especially good; besides African-themed music, there was also a bit of modern pop (could hear the electric guitar for some pieces!) and some acapella (AWESOME. Seriously.) Won’t the cast get tired? Okay, there are 2 casts that take turns to perform but still, the show runs every day except on Mondays. And it’s been in Singapore since… the first quarter of the year? Crazy tough to be doing all the singing and acting for that many times.

It’s also good cos they infused elements of Singapore into the script. They mentioned “merlion”, some Singlish (“obiang leh!”), Chinese (“ni hao!”) haha awesome. These little touches do make a difference to the entire feel, and makes the musical a little more personalised to the people who are watching it.

The stage is also constantly changing. I love how they change their scenes and it’s so smooth sometimes that when the set changes you go “eh when did this happen??” The portrayal of different places is always different as well. It’s so refreshing every scene change and you’ll never get bored through the show. At least I didn’t. (:

Kind of didn’t want it to end, and didn’t even realise that close to 3 hours passed when the show ended. But it was worth every cent of my $68 (: Thanks June and Caijing for watching it with me! Didn’t regret going for it. Made my first musical experience soooo good (Y).

And after watching it, the most amazing thing I felt was that to stage that 3 hour performance, a whole lot of effort must have had gone into the preparation process. Seeing the cast execute their every move with perfection and seeing all the characters coming together in perfect synchrony was so mind blowing. And so much hard work had to be put inside that! It’ll be so cool to be part of similar productions next time, and I think everyone who was involved in Lion King will be satisfied and gratified to know that the audience enjoyed the show. Reminds me a little of Huang Cheng.

And then Saturday was hardcore studying, then Cherokees gathering on Sunday, quite fun, we just nua-ed at June’s place and had a tasty dinner (always love the homecooked food there) and played boardgames and stuff and caught a movie and I surprised myself for being able to take most of the violence. But feel very grossed out still. Anyway, am glad that everyone’s still enjoying each other’s company, that’s one of the best things I could ever ask for.

And NDP celebs in school, I admit I’m a patriotic citizen of Singapore! (: The class was surprisingly quite high during the mass singing because I thought they wouldn’t be interested in it. But played silly games in the hall slapping each other’s hands, very silly and no-brainer but fun, on hindsight. And then after that was hanging out with Jiayi and June and rollerbladed which was so fun and had a different experience I would say hahaha. Thankful for you guys <3

That sums it all up, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINGAPORE :D Today’s Google logo is nice!
I want to watch NDP live! But this year cannot, nvm try again next year I guess :)

No comments: